Wednesday, November 7, 2007

#9 - Technorati and LibraryThing

I find Technorati useful for the occasional search, but don't find much value in a lot of the extra features. There are quite a lot of blog or news sites (or even search engines like A9) that allow you to set up saved searches/watchlists and then subscribe to them as HTML feeds, which should be great in theory, except that I've always found it difficult to craft a search at the appropriately specific level - single term searches generally just deluge you with useless results, and the functionality just isn't there to craft lengthy but discriminating Boolean searches. In the past I've ended up setting up multiple saved searches around phrases, can't remember if Technorati is one that supports phrase searching - but in the end I abandoned them all - too much to monitor already without this kind of (relatively indiscrimate) vacuuming of the blogosphere...

Here's a tag, for what it's worth:

The "popular" section is interesting - just goes to show that despite the claims that blogging and RSS are now mainstream, well, getting there maybe - but the top 9 blogs are all for geeks - not that I'm trying to be insulting as I'm one eighth geek on my mother's side (and already subscribe to 2 of the top 10 rated blogs). As for claiming my blog, this function seems to be down at the moment, another day maybe. Bottom line, I can't really see myself using Technorati for anything more than the occasional search that I currently do.

LibraryThing is another matter, this is a great site that I look at regularly, however I have to confess that I am a LibraryThing parasite - I love using it for personal 'readers advisory' purposes, but catalogue my books on it? Who's got the time? I don't get it really, but I'm glad lots of other people do. At the end of the day I'd rather be reading books than cataloguing them...

No comments: