Monday, November 26, 2007

#12 - Web Based Applications

Have been using Google Documents for quite a while now, though playing around with Zoho Writer I prefer the latter. However Google Docs sits neatly as a widget on my personalised Google homepage so I guess the convenience factor means I wouldn't switch unless I was really using it in a serious way rather than basic text docs which I might need either at home or at work. The Zoho upload function worked better than expected, didn't even corrupt any tables in a more complex document so I might even recommend it ahead of Google Docs to students who ask about access to Word so that they can edit/print their essays/resumes.

Only a matter of time before web based applications (SAAS, or software as a service) become standard and we end up renting online Microsoft Office for a few bucks a year if we don't want to use one of the less fully featured and free applications...

No comments: